I apologize if this post is long, but there is a lot of information that I need to pass on. The following will be a combination of what the PLC (Patrol Leaders Council – the boy leaders of the troop) decided, along with some addition information that the boys, and families, need to know. Please read this carefully, as parental feedback/volunteers are needed for some of the dates.
- Saturday, Oct. 22 or 29: 15 mile bike ride (for Cycling Merit Badge or whoever else wants to go). I need at least one more volunteer to ride along with the troop. The date will be determined by which Saturday we can get another volunteer. This person can be an adult sibling also As for departure time, we would leave at either 9am or 1pm (depending on availability of adult volunteer).
- Friday, Oct. 28: Popcorn order forms are due. If you are not going to sell past next Tuesday’s (10/25) troop meeting, you can bring it to the meeting. Hopefully, scouts are taking money with the order (if you forgot to collect it, bring what you have collected).
- Sat. Nov. 5 & 12: Scouting for Food. Nov. 5 will be flyer handout and Nov. 12 will be food collection. Both days need lots of help. Last year, scouts & parents who could help met at the Lutheran Church of Peace, and it went from 8:30am – Noon. Scouts should wear their field dress shirts.
- Sat. Nov 12: Next Step Training @ Pecatonica High School in Pecatonica, IL from 8:30 am – 5:00pm. This is adult leadership training on a variety of topics. In addition any scout that wants to get trained to be a Den Chief can be trained also (I will be leading this training). Cost is $15 (before 11/1, $20 after & at the door) per participant (registration and information can be found atwww.blackhawkscouting.org ). Since I am going, I will be willing to carpool with adults and scouts who want to attend.
- Sat. Jan 7: Dubuque Fighting Saints. Game is at 7:05pm. Registration is due 12/28. Game ticket $5. scout package $30 (we will be registering as a troop).
- Sat. Feb 4: Merit Badge Midway @ UWP. This will be 1-day (same as last year) from 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Fri, Feb 10 – Sun, Feb 12: Electronics weekend @ Camp Lowden (Boeger Lodge). Details provided at upcoming meeting.
- Sunday, June 25 – Saturday, July 1: Summer Camp at Canyon Camp
- Tuesday, Oct. 25: Knot relay, knot & lashing review, making a useful camp gadget, Personal Fitness Merit Badge
- Tuesday, Nov. 1: Start preparing for Backpack Campout, mini stove usage/maintenance, menu planning. This is also the end of the 12 weeks for the Personal Fitness Log for those who started on Aug. 9. Bring completed log with you to turn in. Need to set date to do final Personal Fitness test.
PLC Planning Meeting Summary
Month Theme Merit Badge Outdoor Activity Camping
October Knots/Lashings Personal Fitness Bike Ride (Oct 22/29) None
November* Cooking ***(Family Life ) Hike Backpack
December** First Aid ***(Personal ) Emergency Response Matador
January Citizenship ( Management ) Skiing Cabin
* We are planning a Webelos/Arrow of Light scout invite during November
** We will be having a Court of Honor at the Mining Museum in December
*** During the Months of Nov-Jan, we will work on Family Life and/or Personal Management Merit Badges
- For all Life Scouts who are beginning their Eagle Scout Project, start working on the proposal section of the project workbook (can be found at http://www.blackhawkscouting.o
rg/Resources/Forms/Advancement -Forms ). We need to start getting approvals for the projects so that they can be started to be worked on.
- I would like to have a parent’s meeting during one of the troop meeting in the next 2 weeks. I would like to start it at 8pm as there are several items to discuss. If you could let me know which date (Oct 25/Nov 1) works better, I would appreciate it. I will send out an update with the preferred date.
If I missed anything, please let me know. If you have any questions, please let me know.