A few things:
- Saturday 12/3: Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast: 8am – Noon @ Platteville High School: the Kiwanis are asking for scouts from troop 84 to help with their pancake breakfast. Since they have been great Eagle Scout Project supporters in the past, and also since we have scouts that need service hours for rank advancement, helping would be a good idea.
- I am attaching the information for Merit Badge Midway. Please start to review the merit badges and prerequisites (preliminary – final copy coming soon) as we will be discussing them over the next several meetings.
For those who are working on the Personal Fitness Merit Badge and need to take the final test, I will be at Mound View Park on Friday, 11/18, at 4pm.
The following is everything that is going on this weekend:
- Friday, Nov. 11 @ 2pm @ Krone America: I could use 2-3 adults to help the area unit popcorn sort. If you can help, please let me know ahead of time. Please don’t just show up.
- Saturday, Nov. 12: 8:30am – 5:00pm: Next Step @ Pecatonica, IL High School: Adult leadership training. Information and registration can be found at www.blackhawkscouting.org . I will be traveling there so I have room for anyone who wants to go.
- Saturday, Nov. 12: 8:00am – Noon: Scouting for Food @ Lutheran Church of Peace (Water Street). This is food pickup day. If you are helping, please wear your field dress shirt.
- Saturday, Nov. 12 & Sunday, Nov 13: 1:00pm – 3:00pm: popcorn pickup at my house (1044 Woodland Road, take 2nd street north out of Platteville, once out of town, take the 2nd left and my house is the 3rd on the right – there is a white trailer in the driveway)
A few things from the last meeting and additional information:
- Sat Nov 5: Scouting for Food will start at 8am instead of 8:30am
- Sat Nov 5: 1pm @ Mound View Park: For those who have been working of Personal Fitness Merit Badge and have completed their 12 week log, I will be doing the final fitness test. It should take less than a half an hour.
- Fri, Nov 18 – Sun, Nov 20: Backpack campout: location TBD (hasn’t been finalized if this is a full weekend campout)
- Tuesday, Nov 29: Webelos/Arrow of Light Invite @ our troop meeting: the scouts will be developing a program for when the Webelos & Arrow of Light cub scouts visit.
- Fri, Jan 13 – Sun, Jan 15: Cabin Camping @ Kiwanis Youth Cabin – Monroe: we will be inviting the Webelos & Arrow of Light cub scouts to this campout
2 quick reminders:
- For those working on Personal Fitness Merit Badge (and started Aug. 9), your 12 week log is due tomorrow (11/1). Please bring it with you to the meeting.
- Any scout wishing to sign up for Chief Training, or adult wishing to take some adult leader training, early registration deadline is today. You can signup on the council website (www.blackhawkscouting.org). A carpool is being arranged for those who wish to carpool.
The parents meeting will be Tuesday, 10/25, at 8pm during the troop meeting.
In addition, the bike ride will be next Saturday, 10/29. Details will be discussed at the meeting.
Finally, all scouts that sold popcorn should bring their popcorn forms, along with any money collected, to the meeting on Tuesday. If a scout is going to sell past Tuesday, Chris will need to have the forms turned in by Friday, 10/28.
I apologize if this post is long, but there is a lot of information that I need to pass on. The following will be a combination of what the PLC (Patrol Leaders Council – the boy leaders of the troop) decided, along with some addition information that the boys, and families, need to know. Please read this carefully, as parental feedback/volunteers are needed for some of the dates.
- Saturday, Oct. 22 or 29: 15 mile bike ride (for Cycling Merit Badge or whoever else wants to go). I need at least one more volunteer to ride along with the troop. The date will be determined by which Saturday we can get another volunteer. This person can be an adult sibling also As for departure time, we would leave at either 9am or 1pm (depending on availability of adult volunteer).
- Friday, Oct. 28: Popcorn order forms are due. If you are not going to sell past next Tuesday’s (10/25) troop meeting, you can bring it to the meeting. Hopefully, scouts are taking money with the order (if you forgot to collect it, bring what you have collected).
- Sat. Nov. 5 & 12: Scouting for Food. Nov. 5 will be flyer handout and Nov. 12 will be food collection. Both days need lots of help. Last year, scouts & parents who could help met at the Lutheran Church of Peace, and it went from 8:30am – Noon. Scouts should wear their field dress shirts.
- Sat. Nov 12: Next Step Training @ Pecatonica High School in Pecatonica, IL from 8:30 am – 5:00pm. This is adult leadership training on a variety of topics. In addition any scout that wants to get trained to be a Den Chief can be trained also (I will be leading this training). Cost is $15 (before 11/1, $20 after & at the door) per participant (registration and information can be found atwww.blackhawkscouting.org ). Since I am going, I will be willing to carpool with adults and scouts who want to attend.
- Sat. Jan 7: Dubuque Fighting Saints. Game is at 7:05pm. Registration is due 12/28. Game ticket $5. scout package $30 (we will be registering as a troop).
- Sat. Feb 4: Merit Badge Midway @ UWP. This will be 1-day (same as last year) from 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Fri, Feb 10 – Sun, Feb 12: Electronics weekend @ Camp Lowden (Boeger Lodge). Details provided at upcoming meeting.
- Sunday, June 25 – Saturday, July 1: Summer Camp at Canyon Camp
- Tuesday, Oct. 25: Knot relay, knot & lashing review, making a useful camp gadget, Personal Fitness Merit Badge
- Tuesday, Nov. 1: Start preparing for Backpack Campout, mini stove usage/maintenance, menu planning. This is also the end of the 12 weeks for the Personal Fitness Log for those who started on Aug. 9. Bring completed log with you to turn in. Need to set date to do final Personal Fitness test.
PLC Planning Meeting Summary
Month Theme Merit Badge Outdoor Activity Camping
October Knots/Lashings Personal Fitness Bike Ride (Oct 22/29) None
November* Cooking ***(Family Life ) Hike Backpack
December** First Aid ***(Personal ) Emergency Response Matador
January Citizenship ( Management ) Skiing Cabin
* We are planning a Webelos/Arrow of Light scout invite during November
** We will be having a Court of Honor at the Mining Museum in December
*** During the Months of Nov-Jan, we will work on Family Life and/or Personal Management Merit Badges
I wanted to pass along the following, which were announced at the meeting last night:
- Anyone who wants to help work on this year’s haunted house should show up at Art Hall (big shelter at Legion Field by the sand volleyball courts) any week day (Monday-Friday) after 6pm or on the weekend if someone is there (not sure the hours).
- For anyone working on the Personal Fitness Merit Badge, we will be taking a progress test on Saturday, 10/8, at 9am at Mound View Park. Please dress accordingly. For those who cannot make that date, please let me know when you are available.
- For all Life Scouts who are beginning their Eagle Scout Project, start working on the proposal section of the project workbook (can be found at http://www.blackhawkscouting.org/Resources/Forms/Advancement-Forms ). We need to start getting approvals for the projects so that they can be started to be worked on.
We welcome Kenneth Webb as a new Scout Master in Troop 84.